Established in 1789, Hammerfest is the northernmost town in the world. On arrival here, the bus will take you to the Meridian Column, which is on the UNESCO list of World Heritage sites and commemorates the first official measurement of the exact size and shape of the Earth. From here we also have a spectacular view of Melkøya and the Snøhvit field (LNG). The town of Hammerfest has a long, eventful history; back in 1891 it was the first town in northern Europe to get electric street lighting produced purely from water power. As we head up Mount Salen, you will learn more about Hammerfest’s unique history, whilst also getting an insight into both Sámi history and culture and Europe’s first LNG factory (Liquid Natural Gas). Once at Salen’s peak, we can experience great views over the town and our waiting ship. Before we return to the quay we will drive past the town church which features unusual architecture inspired by fish flakes.
- Available: Daily from November 1 to March 15 & from May 1 to September 15 (except for Jan 1, Dec 24, 25 & 31)
- Departure: 11:00 hrs (Hammerfest)
- Duration: Approximately 1 hour
- Guiding: English
- Price 2017: EUR 45,- per person
- Child condition: 25% discount (4-15 years). Children under the age of 4 free of charge
- Included: City guide and map