Experience the exciting story of the coast of the Arctic Ocean in this fascinating and educating excursion through nature that varies from verdant valleys to the grey stone desert of the Finnmark plateau. This excursion provides you with an opportunity to meet a Sami family of reindeer herders and also visit the Foldal Coastal Heritage centre where you can gain an insight into the history of the Finnmark area. The tour starts with the visit to Foldal Coastal Heritage centre and after some time here we continue through Kjøllefjord and into the mountains to a Sami camp and the Utsi family. Inside a traditional lavvo we’ll hear about Sami traditions and their way of life whilst being served boullion and coffee. You will also have the opportunity to hear the traditional joik (Sami songs), meet reindeer and try your hand at lasso throwing. After our stop in Kjøllefjord we return by coach to the port of Mehamn.
- Available: Daily from May 6 to September 5
- Departure: 17:00 hrs (Kjøllefjord-Mehamn)
- Duration: Approximately 2,5 hours
- Guiding: English
- Price 2017: EUR 97,- per adult
- Child conditions: 25% discount (4-15 years). Children under the age of 4 free of charge
- Included: a taste of reindeer broth and coffee