This is a trip that is highly recommended for photo enthusiasts or anyone that wants to enjoy close encounters with the whales!
You will be picked up in Tromsø and transferred to a base camp located north on Kvaløya (the Whale Island). During the drive you can enjoy the beautiful scenery while the guide and marine biologist will tell you about the whales, the adventure that awaits, what to look for and how to spot it while in the boat.
After arriving to base camp, you will be provided with an extra layer of clothing and survival suits. Your guide will also give you a short safety briefing before going onboard, explaining everything about safety onboard, and how your survival suit works.
You will enjoy your adventure exploring the fjords by RIB boat with breathtaking scenery. The most common whale species are humpback whales and orcas, but there are also chances of seeing fin whales and possibly harbor porpoises and other species. Don’t forget to keep your eyes open for other wildlife such as white-tailed eagles and different seabirds, e.g. shags, guillemots, little auks, and the seals that sometimes can be seen resting on the cliffs.
On this whale safari you will become part of a research project. This is where they study the migration path, by identifying the whales that are in the area by pictures of their fluke. This helps to learn more, and you can help us by sending your fluke pictures to: firstname.lastname@example.org
When you are back at the harbour you will have a chance to taste a traditional fish soup served in paper cups. This is to heat up your fingers and make the perfect ending to a nice day.
- Available: Daily from November 1 to January 25 (except Dec 23-26, 31 & Jan 1)
- Departure: 08:30 hrs from the Scandic Ishavshotell/ city centre
- Duration: Approximately 5,5 hours
- Guiding: English
- Price 2016/2017: EUR 135,- per adult
- Price 2017/2018: EUR 142,- per adult
- Child conditions: No child discount. This tour is not suitable for children under the age of 12
- Included: Transportation, English speaking marine biologist, warm suit, survival suit, coffee / tea, cookies and fish soup. You will have a chance to hydrophone hear the sounds of the whales under the water
- Please note:
- Whale sightings: The whale watching tours take place in wild and unpredictable nature. Whale sightings cannot be guaranteed. No refund can be given if no whales are seen on the tour.
- Weather dependent: All outdoor activities are weather dependent and may be cancelled or replaced by more suitable alternatives should the conditions not permit to run the tour as planned. A full refund will be made for activities cancelled by the supplier due to weather conditions.