This trip is highly recommended for photograph enthusiasts or anyone that wants to be close to whales.
You will be picked up in Tromsø and transferred to the base camp in the north of Kvaløya (the Whale Island). During the drive, you can watch and observe the beautiful scenery while the marine biologist tells you all about the whales, the adventure that is waiting for you, what to look for and how to spot the sea animals while in the boat.
When arriving at the North of Kvaløya, you will make a stop at a local fish factory of 100 years old. An extra layer of clothing and survival suits will be given to you. A short safety briefing before boarding will be given by the marine biologist , you will get an explanation about safety on board and how the survival suit works. The stop is a great chance to experience a local village, that has survived on fishing and farming for several generations.
You will enjoy your adventure exploring the fjords by RIB boat with wonderful scenery. The most common whale species are humpback whales and orcas, but there are also chances of seeing fin whales and possibly harbor porpoises and other species. Don’t forget to keep your eyes open for other wildlife such as white-tailed eagles and different seabirds, e.g. shags, guillemots, little auks, and the seals that sometimes are resting at the cliffs. During the trip, the guide will make sure to conduct a safe and responsible whale watching, with the aim to never disturb the whales while feeding. In the middle of the tour, there will be a coffee break while enjoying the scenery and whales.
The final aim of this safari is to be more than just a safari. Therefore, the company asks you to participate on the research project. The project studies the migration paths of the humpback whales by photographing their flukes, the patterns unique to an individual whale. By sending your pictures to email@example.com, you will help the project.
When you are back at the harbour you will have a chance to taste a traditional fish soup served in paper cups. This is to heat up your fingers and make the perfect ending to a nice day.
- Available: Daily from November 1 to January 25 (except Dec 23-26, 31 & Jan 1)
- Departure: 08:30 hrs from the Scandic Ishavshotell/ city centre
- Duration: Approximately 5,5 hours
- Guiding: English
- Price 2017/2018: EUR 142,- per adult
- Child conditions 2017/2018: No child discount. This tour is not suitable for children under the age of 12
- Included: Transportation, English speaking marine biologist, warm suit, survival suit, coffee / tea, cookies and fish soup.
- Please note:
- Whale sightings: The whale watching tours take place in wild and unpredictable nature. Whale sightings cannot be guaranteed. No refund can be given if no whales are seen on the tour.
- Weather dependent: All outdoor activities are weather dependent and may be cancelled or replaced by more suitable alternatives should the conditions not permit to run the tour as planned. A full refund will be made for activities cancelled by the supplier due to weather conditions.