In this tour you have a chance to visit a glacier, the frozen glacial tongue named Sólheimajökull glacier. It will take just over 2 hours to drive from Reykjavik to the glacier. The glacier itself is a magnificent phenomenon, a rugged, raw and ever changing hub of ancient frozen water. You will explore the crevasse riddled outlet glacier with its amazing ice formations, sink holes and jagged ridges accompanied by an experienced glacier guide. Along the way the guide will find an ice wall on the glacier and you will get to try your hands at ice climbing. All safety equipment will be provided (ice axes, crampons and safety lines).
On the way back to Reykjavik a stop will be made at the beautiful Skógafoss waterfall.
On this trip you get to see and do what most of the population will only dream about and very few ever try. Why not be adventurous and explore the amazing crawling glacier?
We recommend hiking boots, wind and waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves.
- Available: Daily all year
- Departure: 08:30 hrs from your hotel
- Duration: 9-10 hours
- Guiding: English speaking glacier guide
- Price 2017: EUR 208,- per person
- Child conditions: No child discount. This excursion is not suitable for children under the age of 14
- Included: Transfer to and from the glacier, guiding, specialized glacier gear (climbing harness, glacier crampons, helmet and other safety equipment)
Please note: A minimum of 2 participants is required to operate the tour. If traveling alone you can still book this add-on as there might be other travelers participating