During a private 6-hour excursion you will discover the ancient Russian monastery Trinity Lavra of St. Sergey as well as the Trinity cathedral!
Sergiev Posad (ex-Zagorsk) is a town situated 70 kilometers from Moscow. It was named after Saint Sergey, born in Radonezh (a city situated next to Zagorsk) and known as Sergey Radonezhsky. He founded a monastery there in the 14th century which became at that time one of the greatest and biggest monasteries in Russia. Nowadays the monastery carries the name of Lavra meaning “main and most important monastery” in Greek. There are four lavras in Russia, but the Trinity Lavra of St.Sergey is considered to be the “Russian Vatican” and besides the Russian patriarch’s temporary residence is situated there.
You will enter the monastery through the main Red Gates also named Saint Gate, and at once your attention will be attracted by frescos that represent the different scenes of St.Sergey’s life: the period before the monastery existed, the building period of the monastery as well as historical events of state importance.
In the monastery area there are three cathedrals: St.Trinity Cathedral, Assumption Cathedral and Refectory. You will visit one of them: the oldest cathedral, St.Trinity Cathedral, built in 1422-1423 over the tomb of St.Sergey. Inside the cathedral you will see sanctities of the Russian land: the shrine with St.Sergey’s relics and icons painted by famous Andrey Rublyov.
In addition to three cathedrals, in the monastery you will see the royal temporary residence, the monastery hospital which is one of the first constructed in Russia, and the monks’ cells.
- Available: Daily from January 2 to December 30 (on request basis, except Saturdays and Sundays)
- Departure: 09:00 hrs. Other times on request. The guide will meet you in the lobby of your hotel
- Duration: 6 hours including 3 hours transfer by bus
- Languages: Guides are available in many different languages
- Price 2017:
- EUR 355,- per person if you are is one person
- EUR 189,- per person if you are 2-3 persons
- EUR 99,- per person if you are 4-7 persons
- EUR 60,- per person if you are 8 persons or more
- Included: Entrances to the monastery and the Trinity Cathedral
- Opening hours of the Sergiev Posad & Trinity Cathedral:
- Monastery : daily from 08:00 – 18:00
- Cathedrals: weekdays